Veterans and Military Family Services

The College of Western Idaho (CWI) provides educational services for Veterans and qualifying dependents needing assistance with the use of their Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits. Veterans should visit the Veterans and Military Family Services webpage to schedule an appointment with a Veterans Services representative. Veterans and dependents eligible to receive GI Bill®1 benefits need to submit all required paperwork prior to the enrollment period being processed to the Department of Veteran Affairs. 

Each semester, Veterans that want to use their GI Bill®1 must contact the School Certifying Official by completing a request for certification form after they are enrolled in courses. For enrollment changes that take place after the initial certification, another request for certification form is required. This form is required for every semester that the Veteran wishes to use their GI Bill®1 benefits.

Veterans must report any change(s) in their course schedule by completing another request for certification form; this is to ensure that correct VA monthly educational benefits are granted in accordance with declared major requirements. Changes to the student's phone number or mailing address can be made by emailing the School Certifying Official.

Veterans using VA education benefits at CWI may also be eligible to participate in the VA Work Study program; if you are interested in this program, email for more information.

Veterans receiving education benefits may also be eligible for other financial aid.

Important Phone Numbers:

  • VA GI Bill® Education Benefits Hotline      1.888.442.4551
  • VA Direct Deposit Enrollment                      1.877.838.2778
  • Monthly Enrollment Verification                  1.877.823.2378

For more information, please visit the Veterans and Military Family Services webpage or contact:

Veterans Services
Phone: 208.562.2415 | Email:


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website:

Military Prior Credit

The College of Western Idaho recognizes the value of learning experiences gained during military service. CWI will evaluate transfer credit and prior learning experiences from college, university, and military transcripts. Credits applicable to the student’s program of study will be accepted as transfer credit or prior learning credit. Students should meet with their advisor to learn more about courses needed to fulfill program requirements.

Most college and university transcripts can be ordered online and must be sent directly from the institution to CWI to be considered official.

Military transcripts can be ordered online:

CWI utilizes the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) to inform decisions around prior learning credit. The American Council on Education's (ACE) Military Guide provides college credit recommendations for the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.

Veteran Act Compliance

For compliance information regarding the Veteran Benefit and Transition Act of 2018 (Public Law 155-407) and the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (Section 702), please visit the Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid catalog page.

Veteran Priority Registration 

For information about Veteran Priority Registration, please visit the Registering for Classes catalog page.