Academic Standings

Academic standings are applied for the fall and spring semesters for degree-seeking students.

Good Academic Standing

To be in "good standing" at CWI, degree-seeking students must have a 2.00 minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA).

Academic Warning

Degree-seeking students who earn a cumulative GPA below 2.00 are placed on "academic warning" status for the following semester. Students on academic warning are strongly encouraged to work closely with their advisor to plan a successful course of action each semester.

A student on academic warning will return to good standing once their cumulative GPA returns to a 2.00 or higher.

Academic Contract

Degree-seeking students who enroll under an academic warning status and then do not earn at least a 2.00 GPA for that specific semester ("term GPA") are placed on "academic contract" status. Students who wish to enroll while on academic contract status are required to meet with their advisor to create an academic contract.

A student on academic contract status will return to good standing once their cumulative GPA returns to a 2.00 or higher.

A student on academic contract will continue on academic contract when their most recent term GPA is 2.00 or higher, but their cumulative GPA remains below a 2.00. 

The primary objectives of an academic contract are to assist the student in repairing their academic standing and to provide support services in order to achieve the educational goals set forth.

A student on academic contract status will be notified by the Registrar’s Office that their registration access is blocked and they must contact their advisor to participate in the academic contract process in order to enroll in classes. Academic contract agreements must be completed by the end of the semester registration period.

An academic contract is considered successful when the student’s most recent term GPA is 2.00 or higher. Withdrawal from a course will not impact GPA and does not count against a student when determining whether the academic contract is successful. If the student earns a "D" grade, but the term GPA is still 2.00 or higher, the academic contract will be considered successful; however, a student may need to repeat the course to fulfill a graduation requirement.

Note: Students on academic warning status who have registered before the reporting of semester grades will need to complete an academic contract if their final grades place them on academic contract status. Failure to complete an academic contract will result in the student being dropped from their classes by the Registrar’s Office immediately following the last day to register for the term.

Academic Suspension

A student who enrolls under academic contract status and fails to earn a 2.00 term GPA will be "academically suspended" from school for the next enrollment term (excluding summer term).

When a student returns to CWI after suspension, they will again be held under the same academic contract procedures and conditions. If upon return, the student fails to earn a 2.00 term GPA, the student will be academically suspended from school for the next enrollment term (excluding summer term).

Appeals associated with the academic contract process must be made, in writing, to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Enrollment and Student Services. The AVP of Enrollment and Student Services or their designee will conduct the appeal process and shall provide a final decision to the appellant. The AVP of Enrollment and Student Services' decision is final.

For more detailed information regarding academic standing procedures, please contact the Registrar's Office at 208.562.3000 or

Academic Renewal

CWI recognizes that conditions are not always ideal for students when they attempt to pursue a college education. In an effort to encourage students who have done poorly in the past but are doing well at present, CWI will allow a student to petition the Registrar's Office for "academic renewal." It is not the intent of this policy to allow students with minimum grades of "C" to raise their GPAs through the academic renewal process. The student must submit an Academic Appeal Form to have all coursework disregarded for a specific term for the computation of total credits, the computation of cumulative grade point average, and the completion of graduation requirements for the student’s academic record. If a student meets the criteria listed below and the appeal is approved, the changes will be reflected in the cumulative grade point average, but the coursework will still appear on the student’s transcript with the actual grade given.

Eligibility for academic renewal is subject to the following conditions:

  • Only a term containing at least one grade of "D" or at least one grade of "F" may be considered for academic renewal.
  • One year must have elapsed since the term for which the student is applying for academic renewal.
  • The student must have completed at least 12 graded credits (pass/no pass credits do not count) at CWI in four terms or fewer with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher in the subsequent terms.
  • The student will submit their petition in writing on an Academic Appeal Form stating in full why they should be considered for academic renewal.

Note: Academic renewal can only be applied to courses taken at CWI, may only be applied for once during a student’s academic career, and will only be applied to one term. Not all transfer institutions recognize academic renewal; some honor it and others ignore it and record the actual grade. Academic renewal has no impact on a student's financial aid status.